Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Weapon Tricks and Martial Techniques
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:38 pm 

Southernskies wrote:
Powerful Thrust = 'static' + 'combat manoeuvre'
Mighty Swing = 'static' + 'combat manoeuvre'
therefore combining them only gives you the highest bonus of +5.

The secondary effects may still make the combo worthwhile.

I might be wrong, but I am under the assumption that a created advanced maneuver is now ONE maneuver and thus the same source and isn't a stacking issue. I'm not performing two maneuvers, I'm performing one, with one speed and recovery. Am I wrong?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:44 pm 

I think I agree with Devin on this matter, that the combined maneuver is one manuever.

I think the best place the rules support this is in the question can you combine a maneuver with itself

Quote:
Question: Can you create an Advanced spell or Combat Maneuver by combining a Base Spell/Maneuver with itself?
Answer: No, either with itself or with a Spell/Maneuver which implicitly improves upon it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:47 pm 

Also, if an Created Advanced Maneuver is two different sources, why isn't a Created Advanced Spell? Meaning you would not be able to combine two damage dealing spells?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:59 pm 

I agree with deviknyte and SamhainIA as well. An Advanced maneuver is one source when it is performed so bonuses from the 2 Base maneuvers do "stack".

Eryk Bauer - Martial Awakened 1.2

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:10 am 

wilcoxon wrote:
I agree with deviknyte and SamhainIA as well. An Advanced maneuver is one source when it is performed so bonuses from the 2 Base maneuvers do "stack".

I'm on the other side with Southernskies. =/ I think they're two static bonuses and don't stack. Again I could be wrong (I might even be happy to be wrong...). I just don't really know. That Advanced Spells and Advanced Maneuvers don't line up perfectly also adds confusion to me.

Where I'm in doubt I also tend to lean conservative sooo ... I would not allow them to stack at a table I judge.

Pedro if you are reading, it'd be nice for you to chime in at some point and offer a clarification and an example of how Mighty Swing and Powerful Thrust would combine.

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:44 am 

By not allowing bonus damages to stack for Advanced Maneuvers, that pretty much neuters most of the popular combinations and leaves you trying to find very specialized combinations. I don't think this was the intent.

John

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:19 am 

Kinda. At tier 2 there aren't a ton of damage maneuvers compared toI other maneuvers that are tactical. The are only 2 melee static damage maneuvers at tier one. Most common combination right now is Sweeping Mighty Swing.

If Ruled that they don't stack (which will require some faqing ), it won't effect most until tier 3.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:25 am 

Pedro is kinda busy in his day job currently, it might be a while before we see anything from him

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:52 am 

I am inclined to say no stacking as well. 2 static bonuses. I dont believe that it was ever intended to take 2 base Maneuvers to create 1 "source". That would be 1+1=1.

But, here I go being logical again....can someone please explain to me how, with any weapon you can Might SWING and Powerful THRUST at the same time? I am not talking mechanically, or because "the rules say so", I mean explain to me what that actually, physically, would look like. If someone did that at a table I was running or playing at, I would probably give the "cheesy move of the day eyeroll of ridiculousness".

-general creator of mayhem and discord
-Exceptional quality PCI Minion and indentured servant
-Lord of the Hummingbirds

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:36 am 

mighty28 wrote:
But, here I go being logical again....can someone please explain to me how, with any weapon you can Might SWING and Powerful THRUST at the same time? I am not talking mechanically, or because "the rules say so", I mean explain to me what that actually, physically, would look like. If someone did that at a table I was running or playing at, I would probably give the "cheesy move of the day eyeroll of ridiculousness".

If the person can physically perform the move at table, ala charades, and not have to immediately see a chiropractor, I'd give it to him/her.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next