Last visit was: It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Advanced Maneuevers questions
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:58 pm 

SamhainIA wrote:
then why are they even base maneuvers?

so if your correct Devin the only maneuver that could be combined is riposte, and it has nothing it can combine with.

I think what he meant was "Cannot be combined with anything other than another push maneuver". I don't recall it being any other maneuver.

John

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:07 pm 

my question still stands, is that if only one push maneuver says that, there isn't anything else for it to combine with because the other Base push maneuvers aren't combineable by the test of that rule.

Also I would challenge you to find something to combine with Riposte that makes sense

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:21 pm 

For succinctness and clarity, the way I remember it (and would recommend it) is:

A Base Push maneuver may only be combined with another Base Push maneuver. Now, I'm also willing to bet that all Push maneuvers were intended to be Advanced to avoid this anyways. I only see 2 (3 if you count Riposte) Push maneuvers that are Base: Quick Set and Trail of Bodies.

The reason Riposte has a Special is because it starts off as Advanced and then becomes Base, so it clarifies what that means. I think it's fair to extrapolate from that. You can't really combine any of the 3 Push maneuvers with one another as their triggers are all different: Get Charged, Vanquish a Foe, and Missed by a melee attack.

However, when looking at the Push maneuvers, the ability to combine them with a non-Push could be problematic. Sure, I haven't looked at every combination but Trail of Bodies in particular could be read in a number of ways. It says you can use this maneuver under Recovery, so does that apply if you use it as an Advanced maneuver?

John

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:45 pm 

You missed Rend (CoH) But that just goes to highlight your point of there being exceedingly few Push maneuvers (there are however more Push spells but thats going to be an advanced discussion)

I cant see how you would combine any of the Base push maneuvers, considering the would inherit the same triggers , and you not likely to be charged while holding a spear and vanquish someone at the same time ( I would posit that those two criteria are mutually exclusive) and all of the criteria for Push maneuvers are like wise exclusive and don't make sense when combined.

I think that any of those (including Riposte) should be able to combine with non push maneuvers that seems to be supported by the Base maneuver tag, we just need a bit of guidance.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:14 am 

There may be more push maneuvers at a future point. Make submissions.

I do not believe it was the intention of the rules to combine push maneuvers with non-push maneuvers. Pedro could come on board and destroy this potion with a post, but there is nothing to suggest how you would officially go about it. Josh's idea is interesting, and might be a great house rule. But there's nothing I read in A:RPG that suggests this was intended.

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:47 pm 

Quote:
add the following sentence to the end of the
Effects entry:
When creating an advanced martial maneuver that grants multiple attribute dice, only one die may explode. Also you may not combine maneuvers with a Push speed.

found that in the errata, while looking for something else

Whoopsie im wrong (ish) it still leaves us with outanything useful to combine with riposte

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:53 pm 

SamhainIA wrote:
it still leaves us with outanything useful to combine with riposte
True.

It can only be combined with Quick Set and Trail of Bones.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3