Last visit was: It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Rudimentary Prayers and Arcane Spell casting
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 12:13 am 

Hi all

One of my players asked about Arcane and Divine casting by the same PC.

Easy question - Arcane Spell Casting Talent clearly states that you can't take both unless Arcane is Pscionics

He the asked about Rudimentary Prayers and my initial response was againe Ancane and Divine incompatable...

BUT

While Rudimentary Spell Casting states that it can not be taken if the character has access to Divine Spell casting and the current paths that give access to it states the same; there is no such restriction on Rudimentary Prayers

So in theory is you have ASC (Any) you can still take RP and gain limitated divine spells

To my mind this is wrong but I can not see a ruling otherwise

Anyone able to help?

Dean / Taffy

Melbourne - Australia

Marco val'Sheem - Master Sword Sage
Gwe - Berokene Sailor & KNight of the 12 Oaks
Henrique Gatti- Dark-kin Archeologist

Tos'Koreth - Disciple of Jeggal Sag
Vuran - Tultipet Body Guard

The Axeman (LRC)

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Rudimentary Prayers and Arcane Spell casting
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 3:27 am 

Not official but I vaguely remember an official answer from way back, so I may be hallucinating or the prevailing sentiment of the powers that be might have changed.

(I’m assuming you mean in ARG)

Unless something has changed, yes, you can, by both RAW and intent (representing the most, pardon the pun, rudimentary of training. It’s a limited level of mastery that requires an intense amount of time, training, and resources to accomplish, learning that singular cant or Arcane spell (tying up a talent for 1 such ability). You’re still precluded from taking the Spell Mastery as usual.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 10:03 am 

By RAW you can.

Henry did state (can't find the reference; it was quite old, before the v2 Errata/FAQ and possibly on the old forum) that you shouldn't be able to do this either, but the FAQ/Errata still hasn't changed as of v5.1

Sidenote: the PCI 'Downloads' page still has v2 loaded. Currently v5.1 at:
http://www.paradigmcampaigns.com/Campai ... aspx?cid=1

Have toyed with this a few times over the years, but couldn't make it work properly (Benedik the Butcher is the closest I got and he's DSC/ASC[psionics] )

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 2:21 pm 

Dean,

I would let whoever it is know that the official errata hasn't caught up yet, but that the intent (per Henry) is that the answer would be no. That's an accurate reflection of reality.

With a sweep of his hat,

Paul

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 7:39 pm 

I'm with Hat on this one.

In Arcanis the ideas that spells (a) were gifted to mankind in the form of immutable cants and you must have faith in them, is incompatible with (b) experimentation with iotas of energy left over from creation leads to new combinations of magical effects.

It might currently be legal under RAW, but it's nots something consistent with the campaign world.

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 10:42 pm 

I can tell you with firm confidence that the current party line is: the only Arcanum source that mixes with another is Psionics. All other groups are non-miscible. The rationale for this is that the mindset needed to manipulate the Arcanum means that to access it one way, your brain just is not wired to deal with it another way. Psionics is ever the strange one because it is a biological capacity of vals.

However, you are correct that in the Rules as Written, it IS possible to gain Rudimentary XXX Talent when you have a non-miscible XXX Spellcasting Talent. There is no restriction in the book as written, and nothing (yet) in the Errata or Campaign Guide. This will have to be corrected in the next rewrite of those documents, at least the Campaign Guide to reflect this.

Haakon Marcus val'Virdan, Divine Holy Judge of Nier
Ruma val'Vasik, Martial Crusader and Master of the Spear
Jorma Osterman, Arcane Coryani Battlemage

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey