Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Magic items in other campaign settings, help me out!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:14 pm 

I'm new to Arcanis, but I've kickstarted the Forged in Magic Reformed book, and my group loves it. However, we just play with generic D&D races and deities. So, regarding attunement for magic items that require specific races or a character to be a "follower of ???" or a "worshipper of ???" ...how could we handle these attunement requirements? Would it be unfair to ignore them? Are there comparable races and deities?

Any help on this would be great!! I wasn't sure if there was an official rule for this, or a rule that was commonly used.

:)

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Magic items in other campaign settings, help me out!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:49 pm 

The deities of Arcanis can be exchanged for thematically appropriate deities in other settings. For example, if you have a worshiper of Thor, it would be appropriate for a lot of Hurrian-centric gear since in Arcanis, the God Hurrian is the god of Honourable War, Defence, Storms, and the Air. Similarly, a god like Kossuth could be exchanged with Nier (God of Fire, Justice, Destruction, and Zealotry) or Keleos (the Elorii Fire God). The best method would probably be to look at the general traits of the item in question, and find the God in your setting which represents some of those traits.

For reference, Arcanis Gods have no alignment. They are True Neutral for the most part, and have both good and evil, and even lawful and chaotic tendencies and traits. Take Nier for example: on one hand he is the god of fire (Chaos) and destruction (evil), but he is also the Holy Judge (Law) and engenders people to become Paladins (Good).

Haakon Marcus val'Virdan, Divine Holy Judge of Nier
Ruma val'Vasik, Martial Crusader and Master of the Spear
Jorma Osterman, Arcane Coryani Battlemage

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:02 am 

So, more or less find similar deities. :) What about races? Are there equivalents that come to mind?? I read something about humans, and some other race that are psychic humans?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:27 am 

You might want to download the Arcanis Primer (it's free) from RPGNow. That describes the races and you can find equivalences there.

Glad you enjoyed the book.

https://www.rpgnow.com/product/194097/A ... st_epoch=0

Henry Lopez
President
PCI

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:23 pm 

Awesome, thank you!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:13 am 

I have always been a fan of the FiM books. As much for the guerrilla lessons in history as the actual items.

If you like the powers of the items, then you only need to find ways to drop them into the campaign. In your own campaign you can change or hand wave what ever you want. Illiir? Sun god. Could be Pelor or Re. Apollo or Aumanator/Lathander... Its the sun god. Run with it. Item is Kio only? (What's a Kio?!?) no problem, pick a different race you use.

On the other hand if you like the history and you want that flavor, then you have a harder job incorporating everything. Arcanis is not a plain vanilla setting. Somethings work in Arcanis, and somethings don't. For example: The elorii are the "elves" of the campaign world. BUT they have elemental powers similar to the Genasi. And the elorii were displaced in an ancient war. In Greyhawk that might make better parallels human Baklunish (or the Suel). trying to treat the elorii as the regular elves of D&D probably won't work.

At the same time, it is again your campaign. You don't necessarily need to be consistent in what attunes to what. One elorii item could attune to elves. Another could fit in with the dragonborn of your world ... think about how you want to use the story possibilities.

Good luck! Personally I would focus on using the history bits as hooks for further adventures.

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey