Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Bunch of questions from a newbie
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:09 pm 

Wolf Pack and advanced tactics are both good talents in my opinion. Though you are right that they don't stack with other talents that grant bonuses...there are other talents you could take and if you did then wold pack tactics might be redundant.

Still, static bonuses to hit and damage are not easy to come by in this system. WPT gives you a +1 to both while "flanking."

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:38 pm 

I do agree that Wolf Pack Tactics can find a place in several builds, especially on Expert or Arcane types who aren't planning on investing a lot in Weapon Mastery but still want to help out in melee.
Even on some Martial types who've got a talent to spare...since at least that +1 to hit from WM1 stacks with everything and, as you've pointed out, this game doesn't hand out static bonuses like candy(thank god).

Still, if nothing else, going from WPT(requires any trained Melee skill) to Advanced Tactics(requires WPT, Prowess 6 and Insight 6) and only getting an effective +1 damage over simply having WPT alone out of it seems like a raw deal(damage is still easier to come by than bonuses to hit after all). Might just be me.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:54 pm 

If we want to be extra technical, when I said "customary" I am referring to the method known as the Traditional Method, since there is no need to avoid an upward skewing of massive amounts of data.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:49 pm 

FallenAngel wrote:
I do agree that Wolf Pack Tactics can find a place in several builds, especially on Expert or Arcane types who aren't planning on investing a lot in Weapon Mastery but still want to help out in melee.
Even on some Martial types who've got a talent to spare...since at least that +1 to hit from WM1 stacks with everything and, as you've pointed out, this game doesn't hand out static bonuses like candy(thank god).

Still, if nothing else, going from WPT(requires any trained Melee skill) to Advanced Tactics(requires WPT, Prowess 6 and Insight 6) and only getting an effective +1 damage over simply having WPT alone out of it seems like a raw deal(damage is still easier to come by than bonuses to hit after all). Might just be me.

I've a PC with it in my game, it makes a noticeable difference in fights when they get the benefit vs those they don't.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:13 pm 

Your run of the mill Martial T1 character can expect to do an average damage of 10.611 damage on a hit. With Wolf Pack Tactics that's 12.611.

If we now take Advanced Tactics for that extra +1 damage(compared to just WPT alone), the total goes up to 13.611, which is a slightly less than 8% increase in damage.

If you're actually going for damage, you can get an average per hit of 21.091, 23.091 with WPT and 24.091 with AT on top, at which point the +1 damage from AT is down to a just over 4% damage increase.

For both cases, as the Tiers go up, average damage per hit will too, causing the % increase in damage due to that effective +1 to shrink even more(though quick, low damage weapons will benefit more from it, as long as you can still reliably do damage through your targets armor...that's a damage per tick vs damage per hit issue).

I remain sceptical that grabbing AT as well, instead of just using WPT by itself, makes for a readily noticable difference. If you specifically spec for it maybe.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey Go to page Previous  1, 2