Last visit was: It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Requirements for Talents (and Martial Techniques)
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:39 pm 

Trust me players will always find something to "grump" about. I had a great concept for a Coryani Battle Mage only to find out I have to have Arcanum: Sorcery, when I wanted to go the Arcanum: Meditation route...oh well... :(

Upon further reflection I have elected to go Inquisitor of the Mother Church with this character...in the end a far more "fun" choice... :D :twisted:

Haakon val'Ishi, Beltinian Exorcist 2.7 [Divine]
Ursula val'Holryn, Grand Master of the Tralian Hammer 2.2 [Martial]
Arun of Tultipet, Holy Champion of Neroth 1.10 [Expert]
Rikitsa val'Holryn, Psion 1.9 [Arcane]

Last edited by Haakon_val'Ishi on Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:44 pm 

You do realize that under the ruling, "Learn Martial Technique" is a specifically named talent and is still a valid exemption for Background/Path. It just happens to be a Talent you can take multiple times and gives a different benefit each time.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:27 pm 

Southernskies wrote:
You do realize that under the ruling, "Learn Martial Technique" is a specifically named talent and is still a valid exemption for Background/Path. It just happens to be a Talent you can take multiple times and gives a different benefit each time.

I believe Matt's intent is plain. If you've got an alternate wording that you feel is clear and eliminates that confusion, I expect he's open to hearing it.

With a sweep of his hat,

Paul

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:18 am 

If there is still confusion then I would say that -

if Learn Martial Technique is provided by an Archetype, Background or Path without a specific Martial Technique being mentioned, then all Requirements for the Martial Technique chosen must be met. The difference is between a Martial Technique specified and one chosen.

Hattar Tantoros di Caligo Dark-kin Templar of Cadic
Ruggiero val'Assante Val Noble
Ershan Yagmir Human Nomad
Turbulus Normaven Gnome Vagabond
Sibin val’Vasik Val Wilder

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:30 am 

I would argue that Learn Martial Technique isn't a specifically named talent, any more than "choose any Combat talent" is. You're still having to pick a talent within a restricted set. Learn Martial Technique: Lunge or Learn Martial Technique: Sweeping Strikes would be examples of a specifically named talent.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:27 am 

deluge wrote:
If there is still confusion then I would say that -

if Learn Martial Technique is provided by an Archetype, Background or Path without a specific Martial Technique being mentioned, then all Requirements for the Martial Technique chosen must be met. The difference is between a Martial Technique specified and one chosen.

That's how I would interpret Matt's ruling for Background and Path. However, the reason for ignoring requirements for Archetype Talents still applies to Learn Martial Technique (it's impossible to actually meet any stat, skill, or Talent prereqs) so, again, we need to ignore prereqs for Martial Techniques granted by Archetype (only relevant for Martial).

Eryk Bauer - Martial Awakened 1.2

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:43 am 

FGJustice wrote:
I would argue that Learn Martial Technique isn't a specifically named talent, any more than "choose any Combat talent" is. You're still having to pick a talent within a restricted set. Learn Martial Technique: Lunge or Learn Martial Technique: Sweeping Strikes would be examples of a specifically named talent.

I think Matt and others agree with you. At creation in the archetype phase you get to ignore reqs on Learn Martial technique (if you are a martial character). Everywhere I else you have to meet the reqs of the MT you wish to take.

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:43 pm 

In that case, Arcane Spell Casting is caught in the same trap. ie: a Path grants you Arcane Spell Casting but you don't have the correct stat, thus cannot actually choose one.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:45 pm 

::sigh:: As I understand Matt

...you ignore the requirements at the Archetype phase. So if you are martial you (can) get MT: Sweeping Strike. Or as an expert you could take Presti or Quick with your any 2 skill talents ... and/or you have no problems with ASC as an Arcane archetype (or DSC if you are divine...)

But that changes for paths and backgrounds. If you get something from one like "any combat talent" then you still have to meet the requirements of what you pick.

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:40 am 

Also, to my knowledge, there is no Path that doesn't specify which ASC it grants. The core book has Magi, Psion, Sorcerer Priest, and Sword Sage. Each of them tell you which version of ASC they grant.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next