Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Armour Modification
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:10 am 

Hello Folks,

I noticed that there are a few effects, such as Wings of the Valinor (sp) and Shape Change (sp), which require the caster to have their armour modified to accommodate wings. These two examples list different costs for that armour modification. There may be other examples, I didn't look overly hard.

I would suggest that it does not make sense for the figures to be different, and that one or both should be changed so that there is consistency. While it is very simple to list a flat fee for modifications, it doesn't really make sense. Why would studded leather cost the same as gothic plate to modify? It would make more sense if the cost were a percentage of the base value of the item (10% maybe).

Just my two cents

aka Rurik - Nol Dappan War Priest (Divine 2.3)
aka Karthik - Tultipetan Stonemason (Expert 1.4)

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Armour Modification
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:59 am 

While I agree in principle with your point, I think it's more trouble than it's worth to offer errata.

There are a number of other items in this game (and others) that I don't think are realistic...but that seem to be workable/reasonable in he big picture of heroic action. For example ... In principle (as a former lifeguard) I think the idea of any level of swimming in heavy armor, without magic, is ridiculous. If you are in Lorica and you go over the side of your boat then I think you are only "swimming" straight down. But I'm at peace with current swimming rules as clear & workable.

The modifications to armor are simple and only apply to spell asters of certain spells. And they have the relevant info in the spell they cast. Seems straightforward even if it's not exactly realistic.

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Armour Modification
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:06 pm 

I have raised this before as an issue. I'm planning to spend the 5GC at T.3 and be done with it (as I always planned to get to Valinor's Wings; I just tweaked to get it via ASC instead of taking Learn Spell multiple times).

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey