Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Mounted Combat and Martial Techniques
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:08 pm 

Question: Can you use your Martial Techniques, specifically Guarded Charge or Passing Strike, while Mounted? Mounted Combat in ARPG only comments that the mount takes the place of the Hero's pace, and they must have a hand free and that a Ride roll is needed, so I see no objections to it.

Haakon Marcus val'Virdan, Divine Holy Judge of Nier
Ruma val'Vasik, Martial Crusader and Master of the Spear
Jorma Osterman, Arcane Coryani Battlemage

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Mounted Combat and Martial Techniques
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:05 am 

I see no reason why you couldn't. However, I'm loathe to say that, since once the door is opened, who or what will push it's way through? Guarded Charge? Sure, I can see that. (Although I wouldn't let the ability affect your steed. The mount would still have a 12 avoidance, IMO.) Passing Strike? Yeah, but I worry about abuse if you have a particularly fast steed.

And this, then opens the door to performing other maneuvers while mounted. But what maneuvers shouldn't be allowed while mounted? Well, that's up to the GM. (ex. I couldn't see Spinning Strikes being performed while mounted. And I don't think I'd allow Lunge while mounted, either. But I'll bet that other judges would allow it.) And then you get into that gray area that players of living-style campaigns hate, where their bread-and-butter maneuver might be allowable and might not, depending on the judge.

So, in a nutshell, yeah, I'd probably allow it, but I'm not sure that I'd like the results that are sure to follow.

Scott

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:10 am 

Passing Strike, at the very least, seems custom made for Cavalry Charges. After all, having a Cavalry Charge where your horse stops in front of an enemy so you can swing at it seems silly to me from a realism and flavour point of view.

Guarded Charge is a little bit more of a stretch, but overall anyone who wishes to charge at all basically needs this technique to do it.

Perhaps putting a note on Mounted Combat saying: Any Martial Technique which can be performed with a melee weapon which leaves one hand free may be used when mounted?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:23 am 

Nierite wrote:
Perhaps putting a note on Mounted Combat saying: Any Martial Technique which can be performed with a melee weapon which leaves one hand free may be used when mounted?

To my mind, this wouldn't cover it. Take my previous example of Lunge. It leaves a had free. But I really don't see it as a 'charging' kind of thing. If we were to discuss what maneuvers are/are not allowed while mounted, I'd be more inclined to add a "[Mounted]" tag to the individual maneuvers that are allowable. The obvious down side to this is that two books have already been released and would need to be retroactively identified. so I don't see that happening.

Scott

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:37 am 

I think a [Mounted] tag is preferable as it allows those that make sense while disallowing those that shouldn't. Having a Rules Expansion Note that says "These Talents should receive the [Mounted] tag" isn't bad. Put it int he campaign rules.

John

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:28 pm 

Harliquinn wrote:
I think a [Mounted] tag is preferable as it allows those that make sense while disallowing those that shouldn't. Having a Rules Expansion Note that says "These Talents should receive the [Mounted] tag" isn't bad. Put it int he campaign rules.

John

Sadly, though very effective way of fixing the issue, would be more along the lines of a 2nd edition to the game :/

I think creating a list of approved maneuvers may be the best course of action, at least for now

Paradigm Concepts
Miami, Florida

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:53 pm 

I don't know, I think I could see Lunge making sense. Wheeling your mount for a quick step over while you attack with a quick application of the spurs. I've seen horses leap quite a ways very quickly at mounted combat demonstrations before.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:14 pm 

Possible options:

1) Any Martial Technique or Weapon Trick which can be done with one hand.

Pros - Simple rule which can be understood. Rather inclusive, allowing for many options.
Cons - Leaves some options which are possible in real life, such as using a Horsebow with two hands.

2) Make an exhaustive list of what techniques qualify.

Pros - Very clear.
Cons - A lot of work.

3) Only Techniques and Tricks with the category "Base" (ie: not Advanced) may be performed while Mounted, with them then becoming "Advanced" by being done mounted.

Pros - Also simple to understand.
Cons - Brings up some issues with 'realism', as Spinning Strike on a horse seems. . . odd.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:18 pm 

Garos wrote:
I don't know, I think I could see Lunge making sense. Wheeling your mount for a quick step over while you attack with a quick application of the spurs. I've seen horses leap quite a ways very quickly at mounted combat demonstrations before.
Exactly my point. Personally, I don't think Lunge makes sense while mounted, but I could see other reasonable people coming to a different conclusion.

So, I could certainly live with a list of allowable (for the campaign) maneuvers while mounted. (Or maybe just a "suggested" list of mounted-allowable maneuvers.) I have two questions about that, though.

1. Would that list be updated when the next book is released? (Or would future books incorporate the [Mounted] tag?)

2. Is this just an idea, or should we expect that it might make it into the FAQ/Errata? (especially if some enterprising player submitted the first draft to this thread for review.)

:)
Scott

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:23 pm 

Cody: While I like the simplicity of 1 & 3, the idea of a player performing a Spinning Strike or Earth to Sky while mounted really detracts from the game for me.

If we were to adopt #2, crowdsourcing the initial list would reduce the effort needed, and any additional books could have a [Mounted] tag. (Or the list could be updated with input from the players, assuming that PCI doesn't want an "official" ruling on the matter, but is okay with an unofficial one for the LA campaign.

Scott

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey Go to page 1, 2  Next