Last visit was: It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Shields and free hand to cast spells
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:21 pm 

Can a Divine spellcaster in Arcanis use a sword and shield and still use magic? Magic section says a hand has to be free...

So, I know that in D&D it was always assumed that if a 'cleric' was using a shield, they can safely let go of the handle long enough to make the hand gesture for the spell since the shield is strapped onto their arm. Is that same logic good for Arcanis?

Just wondering, since it seems odd that a lot of the Hurrian divine-type paths give shield-related talents if they have to choose between shields and divine magic (I kinda assume they'll always have a broadsword out).

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Shields and free hand to cast spells
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:43 pm 

No, they can't. You need to have a free hand for the gestures for your spell casting. The only type of casting that would allow for active use of a weapon and shield would be psionics.

While I appreciate that it was allowed in D&D, it isn't here. A few things to think about. Shields can be effective weapons as well, so you could take that approach. There are also shielding type martial techniques that would allow you to protect with the blade.

A Hurrianic priest who relies more on spells may forgo either sword or shield, depending on their god to provide the other or both. Likewise, a more martial Hurrianite may offer prayers (spells) before battle, and then draw their blade and enter combat.

With a sweep of his hat,

Paul

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:59 pm 

With the right set of talents, it can still be possible to sword/shield and cast non-psionics.

However, it will kill your clock until Tier III when you get "Quickdraw III" to sheath your weapon as a Trivial.

One of my PCs is an archer/cleric that alternates casting and arrows; being a two-handed weapon, I need to use "Quickdraw I" and "Quick Shot" after casting to keep the speed up.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:32 pm 

Similarly, if you are using a two-handed weapon (such as a Flamberge, as per my own Nierite Battle Priest), you may wish to look at Quick Hands (Ta) that appears in the Codex of Heroes book. Basically, it allows you to 'drop' your weapon as a Speed 1 Trivial Action on top of the spell's speed. This is as opposed to the sequence of "0-tick action to drop weapon on ground, then cast spell, then 2-tick action to 'pick up' your weapon again".

Haakon Marcus val'Virdan, Divine Holy Judge of Nier
Ruma val'Vasik, Martial Crusader and Master of the Spear
Jorma Osterman, Arcane Coryani Battlemage

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey