Last visit was: It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Pushing Through a Rebuke/Ward
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:41 am 

wilcoxon wrote:
I'd love to see the spell ranges cleaned up. There are way too many slight variations ("0' (10' Radius)", "10' Radius", "Self (10' Radius)", etc).

A spell with range "0' (10' Radius)" has the potential to be extended (via adaptations, either unique to the spell or the Talent Adaptation: Extended Range) to longer range for the center of the circle, whereas "Self (10' Radius)" cannot. "10' Radius" is simply vague and should probably always be one of the other two.

I agree that spell ranges are inconsistently specified across spells. An expert on the rules should edit the spell ranges--and all spell details & descriptions for that matter.

Amadi val'Abebi - Monk of Althares
Talathos - choleric Kelekene dabbler

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:49 am 

Nierite wrote:
ONLY those creatures in the initial casting are effected. If you have an infernal 15' away, it is not subject to the Rebuke Spell and can pass into the warded area with no trouble.

The spell description's wording of "the affected creatures will not enter the spell's radius" is vague. Does "affected creatures" mean all Undead, Shades, Spirits, or Infernals? Or does it mean just those creatures affected by the initial casting? I interpret it as the former but can see a point being made for the later based on the spell's wording. Even aside from comparisons with D&D Turning, I feel that the spirit of the rule is that it can keep the unnatural creatures away even if they had not been in the initial 10' radius around the caster.

BTW, since there is another spell Rebuke Lesser in the game, I recommend that a better name for this spell would be Rebuke the Unnatural to be in parallel with the other Rebuke and also the spell Ward against the Unnatural.

Amadi val'Abebi - Monk of Althares
Talathos - choleric Kelekene dabbler

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:50 am 

Nierite wrote:
Remember this about Rebuke:

Quote:
Rebuke

Range: 10’ Radius - This is NOT 0', Self, or Melee and therefore grants a Free Strike

Effect:
All creatures affected by the spell’s initial casting must
move to the edge of the effect. For as long as the spell is active,
the affected creatures will not enter the spell’s radius.
Sustained Effect: Creatures affected must remain outside of
the spell’s area.
Pushing Through: Normally, an effected entity will do all it
can to stay away from the offending priest, but sometimes
blood lust, rage, or pure hatred will allow it to overcome its
fear. To attack, the Undead must succeed in a Mettle: Perseverance
(Re) Action Skill Roll against the caster’s Passive
Arcanum Value.

Leaving aside the inconsistency of affected vs. effected. . .

Because this spell has a range of 10', it provokes Free Strikes, and ONLY those creatures in the initial casting are effected. If you have an infernal 15' away, it is not subject to the Rebuke Spell and can pass into the warded area with no trouble.

I 100% disagree with the 2nd part of this. While it's probably poor wording in the spell, I can't imagine the intent of this spell is that it only affects those creatures already within 10' of the caster at the time of casting. I believe the first line was meant to say "If there are any creatures of the specified type (infernals, etc) within the range at the time of casting, they are moved to the edge." Thereafter, any creature of the specified type (The word 'affected' is used here) that tries to approach must push past the ward.

I would (as GM) not enforce the "only affects creatures within 10' at the time of casting" as I don't think that was the intent of the spell's author (Unless I hear otherwise)

John

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:55 am 

Well, until it is changed in an errata, the spell only works against creatures who were within 10' of the caster at time of casting, with all others being able to freely pass through. Hell, I followed the (thus far) popular opinion until I had the wording explained to me at a Con and to me it seems quite clear that the intention is as per my first paragraph (going so far to confirm it later in the description to say '[e]ffected entity')

Haakon Marcus val'Virdan, Divine Holy Judge of Nier
Ruma val'Vasik, Martial Crusader and Master of the Spear
Jorma Osterman, Arcane Coryani Battlemage

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:04 pm 

I think it only works on the "things on top of you." More things show up? I think you have to recast.

That's part of why I don't think the spell provokes attacks. It only works at immediate range. I am guessing that the range listed is "some kind of typo" and should instead read: self (10' radius).

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:35 pm 

That's a big part of the problem. A range of "10' Radius" is a range of 0'. If they really intend the two to be different then they should have made it far more explicit.

To be explicit, I also disagree that Rebuke (or any spell with a range of "10' Radius") provokes as it is 0' range (or self - they are effectively the same except that 0' can potentially be extended via adaptations).

Eryk Bauer - Martial Awakened 1.2

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:37 pm 

Rebuke was discussed on the forums previously, and with the limitations it is virtually useless. I don't think I've ever seen it used to any significant effect. I don't have a problem with enemies being able to push through it, but it would be nice if it was Range: Self (10 ft) to prevent free strikes, and far more importantly it should affect all enemies of that type, not just those struck by the original casting.

aka Rurik - Nol Dappan War Priest (Divine 2.3)
aka Karthik - Tultipetan Stonemason (Expert 1.4)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:05 pm 

The listed range also affects spells like "Channelling". As a "10'R", it provokes quite badly when trying to clear out minions (4+ free strikes can hurt quite a bit).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:12 pm 

Nierite wrote:
Well, until it is changed in an errata, the spell only works against creatures who were within 10' of the caster at time of casting, with all others being able to freely pass through. Hell, I followed the (thus far) popular opinion until I had the wording explained to me at a Con and to me it seems quite clear that the intention is as per my first paragraph (going so far to confirm it later in the description to say '[e]ffected entity')

As I said, the way it is written supports your reading. I just don't think the author or editor intended the spell to work that way and the wording is an unfortunate error. It's a unique spell and seems practically worthless as written (provoking free strikes and only working once something is in melee with you). PCI has stated before that intent is as important as the mechanics (look at spell's like Bleed, Blood Boil, etc.).

John

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:16 am 

Quote:
Rebuke

Range: 10’ Radius - This is NOT 0', Self, or Melee and therefore grants a Free Strike

Effect:
All creatures affected by the spell’s initial casting must
move to the edge of the effect. For as long as the spell is active,
the affected creatures will not enter the spell’s radius.
Sustained Effect: Creatures affected must remain outside of
the spell’s area.
Pushing Through: Normally, an effected entity will do all it
can to stay away from the offending priest, but sometimes
blood lust, rage, or pure hatred will allow it to overcome its
fear. To attack, the Undead must succeed in a Mettle: Perseverance
(Re) Action Skill Roll against the caster’s Passive
Arcanum Value.

This is exactly how all the divine characters at our table have used it. The rules give the impression it should not be used as a bubble of protection like Ward against the Unnatural. More of an instant fear effect on those close enough to be in the radius. If you want the bubble take Ward against the Unnatural. (as many of my peers have)

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next