Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Fixing 'weak' weapon tricks
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:19 pm 

As has cropped up, some of the weapon tricks are very weak compared to others and have few (or no) use at the time you get them.

Bypass the Shield - a campaign writing problem. Its rare to encounter an Elite or Adversary threat using a shield.

Hamstring - literally hamstrung by the very short duration. Crippling Shot lasts for the whole scene and is ranged.

Throw the Blade - range is too short to be useful. A 5' shifts gets you to the target without disarming yourself.

The other tricks all have a lasting or significant effect on the target (or at least can be annoying to the target by forcing changed actions).

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Fixing 'weak' weapon tricks
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:43 am 

For what it's worth, I promise to include shield-wielding elites in my next adventure.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:31 pm 

Any love for Hamstring in the next errata document? I'd like to see it extended to 12 ticks or Scene for duration.

4 ticks of effect and then gone is still utterly worthless (Spd 3 weapon + 1 for trick); many foes don't even get an action in that time frame.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:13 am 

It's true that there is a wide range in utility from weapon trick to weapon trick. Hamstring & Throw the Blade are both at the low end of the scale and have utility that are at best "situational."

Pedro (and others) have said: That just the way it is. I don't expect PCI to adjust their balanced in the near future.

Edit: with that in mind I would factor tricks in to part of the weapon selection of your PCs. Sometimes you are a divine priest of Illiir and the choice essentially is made for you ... most of the time you have at least some scope to choose.

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey