Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ask the Stat Monkey!
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 1:54 am 

Does the val'Mehan Bloodline Talent Oath Maker (ARPG p.222) grant any benefit to a character who can already cast the Sarishan Oath spell? As written, it appears not to. If not, it seems a pretty hefty "Talent tax" for trying to maximize Bloodrank. Several other val'Mehan Bloodline Talents have alternatives depending on whether or not the character is a Sarishan Sorcerer-Priest, which is logical since many val'Mehans likely become Sorcerer-Priests.

If nothing else, the Talent could be amended to grant knowledge of an additional Tier I Blood or Wards spell to someone who already knows Sarishan Oath.

Amadi val'Abebi - Monk of Althares
Talathos - choleric Kelekene dabbler

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 2:03 am 

With the val'Mehan Bloodline Talent Sarish Is Known to His Chosen (ARPG p.222), if the val'Mehan character has fewer ranks in Arcanum (Sorcery) than he has Bloodrank, can he choose to use his Bloodrank as the bonus to Arcanum (Sorcery) instead of his trained ranks? In the letter of the Talent as written, when a val'Mehan of Bloodrank 3+ gains one rank in Arcanum (Sorcery), his net Arcanum (Sorcery) skill drops--which seems silly. In the spirit of the Talent, I suspect that the character should be able to choose whether to use trained ranks +1 or to use Bloodrank.

I have seen several ways to build a val'Mehan who has training in Arcanum (Sorcery) yet has a higher Bloodrank.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 5:35 am 

Dante wrote:
Can Sorcerer-Priests of Sarish take (and make use of) the Talents Blessed Devotions (p.73) and Personal Remnant (p.84) from the Codex of Heroes, substituting ASC for DSC and Arcanum (Sorcery) for Arcanum (Cants)?

RAW would be no to both of those questions. But you're probably right to ask. There are places where DSC was specified in the A:RPG book but it was also meant to include ASC: SP. Those have made it into the errata.

I feel pretty confident that Blessed Devotions are not open to Sorcerer-Priests of Sarish. BD has a feel that fits with Cants, and SPs have access to Adaptation: Arcane Accuracy which covers a lot of the same ground. I am a lot less sure about Personal Remnant. In a home campaign I would definitely allow it...but you need a ruling from the campaign staff for the Legends Campaign.

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 1:45 am 

Is the spell Infuse with Confidence from Codex of Heroes a Tier II spell (as per the spell listing for Infuse with Competence [sic] on p.138) or a Tier I spell (as per the spell description for Infuse with Confidence on p.152)?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 6:49 am 

Dante wrote:
Is the spell Infuse with Confidence from Codex of Heroes a Tier II spell (as per the spell listing for Infuse with Competence [sic] on p.138) or a Tier I spell (as per the spell description for Infuse with Confidence on p.152)?

Normally I would say the spell description takes precedence over the summary table. Given that the spell's CTN is 20 though I expect it is a Tier II spell per the table. No one official, but that would be my read.

With a sweep of his hat,

Paul

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 9:08 am 

I think this has been answered before, but I don't remember the verdict. The spellcasting section conflicts itself. Is it 7 ticks where something becomes interruptible, or greater than 7 (8+)?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 9:28 am 

Encali wrote:
I think this has been answered before, but I don't remember the verdict. The spellcasting section conflicts itself. Is it 7 ticks where something becomes interruptible, or greater than 7 (8+)?

I've always played it as 7+ but I could be wrong...

Eryk Bauer - Martial Awakened 1.2

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 3:33 pm 

The more I look, it probably is 7+. The only place it mentions 8+ is in one of the spell descriptions (a spell my PC knows, which is probably why I keep seeing it on my spell write-ups):

Suppress Psionics
"Remember, any spell with a Speed of 8+ becomes an Interruptible spell (pg. 345)."

The bad thing is, as my home group realized when we played last week, that means Revitalize is always interruptible without Adapations.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:10 am 

The spell Sarish's Price (CoH p.158) is described in a self-contradictory way. Both the summary stats and the detailed description are self-contradictory about whether the spell lasts for the rest of the scene or only while sustained. Please read the spell for details. The spell should either be made into a base spell with scene duration or a sustained spell that lasts while sustained.

To me, the former seems over-powered, while the later seems mildly under-powered.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:27 am 

The description of the spell Runic Ward (ARPG, p.421) says that its only Tradition is Wards [Tier II], but the spell lists (ARPG, p.352) say that it's also in the Elemental Tradition [Tier III], albeit with a limitation of elemental effect only. Which is correct?

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 19  Next