Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Ghost Scale Questions
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:08 pm 

I have several questions about how the Ghost Scales Ss'ressens fit into the world of Arcanis. When we first met them as predators in the misty alleys of Old Coryan they were strictly monsters and predators who hunted human "detritus" that would go unmourned. Now they are a PC race with a reputation for being mercenaries and unparalleled scouts. But some things still confuse me. Broadly they fall into questions of two types:

1) Ghosts Scales and the Divine: Henry has confirmed in the old forums that there are no true divine casters among the Ghost Scales because [secretly we know] their "goddess" is an ancient Sarishian Artifact and not a god. Henry has also confirmed in the old forums that Ghost Scales cannot be of the Divine Archetype. However I wonder if they can utilize devout talents gained through backgrounds or paths? Presumably a Ghost Scale PC could still take Templar as a background since they have the trappings of a church and sacred sites to be protected. Would they then be able to take the talent Smite Infidel? Or would the divine spark necessary for such a smite be missing? What about Blessed Vitality or Sanctified Body? Could they take the Path: Sword Saint for Herka (trying to live up to its ideals?) or Holy Champion?

2) Ghost Scales and other Nations: Ghost Scales do not take their own nation but choose one from: Abessios, Almeric, Coryan or Milandir. This gives them (at least some of) their arms and armor proficiencies. Nothing is said however about how these nationalities interact with backgrounds or paths that have national requirements. Are any Ghost Scales enrolled in the Legions of Coryan? or in the Royal Marines of Milandir? Path's might also be an issue. Is it appropriate for a PC Milandsian Ghost Scale to become knighted by taking a Path? Become a Legate of Coryan?

With what I know I lean against Ghost Scales wielding devout talents or being alowed into the core national military organizations. Buts really a guess on my part. But the rules as written would imply that they could. And I'm not really sure what PCI's intentions regarding them were/are.

Discussions and/or clarifications would be helpful!

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Ghost Scale Questions
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:52 am 

val Holryn wrote:
1) Ghosts Scales and the Divine: Henry has confirmed in the old forums that there are no true divine casters among the Ghost Scales because [secretly we know] their "goddess" is an ancient Sarishian Artifact and not a god. Henry has also confirmed in the old forums that Ghost Scales cannot be of the Divine Archetype. However I wonder if they can utilize devout talents gained through backgrounds or paths? Presumably a Ghost Scale PC could still take Templar as a background since they have the trappings of a church and sacred sites to be protected. Would they then be able to take the talent Smite Infidel? Or would the divine spark necessary for such a smite be missing? What about Blessed Vitality or Sanctified Body? Could they take the Path: Sword Saint for Herka (trying to live up to its ideals?) or Holy Champion?

I see no major problem with Ghost Scales taking this path, but to me this should the be the exception rather than the rule. All Ghost Scales are born to the warmth provided by the Herka, and are all therefore raised in a closed society where other dieties are not worshipped. As Henry has stated before that their are no 'priests' of the Herka (there was some discussion about possibly making a Shaman path as the Herka would fall into that area rather than divine), there is nobody to teach Devout talents to or Religious skills, hence no Divine Archetype (remember, Archetype reflects your character's education).

That said, it is entirely possible to make a Ghost Scale who has later converted to another Church. The obvious answers to this would be one of the Churches of the Fire Dragon, but it is possible (in theory) to have one convert to the worship of the Pantheon of Man (Henry?). If this happened, the Ghost Scale in question should be able to acquire the requisite paths like Devoted (CoH) to become a member of that congregation, and therefore unlock devout talents and even spells associated with their new deity.

Of course, they would then become Heretics to Herka, so that brings up a lot of other problems. In a lot of ways this would be like an Elorii worshiping the PoM, as it seems to go against the nature of the story and effectively paints a 'kill on sight' target on the PC's back. This could cause more trouble than it's worth, especially on a GM.

Quote:
2) Ghost Scales and other Nations: Ghost Scales do not take their own nation but choose one from: Abessios, Almeric, Coryan or Milandir. This gives them (at least some of) their arms and armor proficiencies. Nothing is said however about how these nationalities interact with backgrounds or paths that have national requirements. Are any Ghost Scales enrolled in the Legions of Coryan? or in the Royal Marines of Milandir? Path's might also be an issue. Is it appropriate for a PC Milandsian Ghost Scale to become knighted by taking a Path? Become a Legate of Coryan?

I'm actually personally opposed to letting Ghost Scales "be" from nations other than the Coryani Empire. We KNOW that the Ghost Scales have to be from Coryan because that is where the Herka is. If they were from somewhere else, whatever the source of heat needed for their eggs would probably cause a phenotypic change on the Ss'ressen like what happened with the Ghost Scales with the Herka and the Ashen Hides in Nier's Spine. At that point, they cease to be Ghost Scales.

That said, within the bounds of the rules that we have, I see no real reason why they COULDN'T be a member of their 'home' nation's military. We had cannon examples of non-human's joining the Coryani Legions (a good example is Ig the Orc), and while a non-human would probably never reach higher than an NCO-level rank within their respective militaries, it probably happens. As such, Legionnaire and Royal Marine are probably viable, but Tribune, Squire, and such probably won't. Knight is a more interesting option, because there was a Mod back in the 3.5 days when a Cancerese Nerothian became Knighted by the King of Milandir, so there is no story-related reason in my mind why a Ghost Scale "from" Milandir couldn't become at least a Knight Errant of the Crown.

Haakon Marcus val'Virdan, Divine Holy Judge of Nier
Ruma val'Vasik, Martial Crusader and Master of the Spear
Jorma Osterman, Arcane Coryani Battlemage

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Ghost Scale Questions
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:00 am 

I sort of agree with you that I think the way Ghost Scales handle nationality is problematic. But I'll note in passing that it been said that they all come back to Old Coryan to breed regardless of where they have served as mercenaries. So for the forseeable future they should breed true. I am somewhat of the opinion that they should have their own nationality. Regardless of where they fight they come in as mercenaries so I remain skeptical that it is appropriate to serve as Royal Marines or Legionnaires. But you could be right and IRS a lot less of a big deal than it is in my mind.

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey