Last visit was: It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Asked & Answered-origins 2015 Edition!
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 2:51 pm 

With T3 looming on the horizon, I wanted to post a thread for the sole purpose of clarifying any questions or addressing rules needs people might have prior to Origins.

1) This is NOT a discussion thread. it is strictly for seeking answers. If you want to discuss or give opinions on issues brought up here, PLEASE automatically spin them into individual threads. Otherwise, questions/answers will get buried in a flurry of posts.

2) Additionally, this is not to re-hash things that were (or weren't) added to the FAQ/Errata. If there are still extraneous issues that have been discussed but not addressed, again, either send PMs or place in another thread. I can't guarantee they will be gotten to prior to Origins, but I will make an endeavor to address them with campaign staff, PCI, and the Dev team.

3) For those of you that like bringing "friends" to fights (yes, i am looking at you Sarishans and Elorii summoners). We are already aware that you need stats for the summoned critters from your T3 spells. It is being worked on and we hope to post a document with the stats asap. Please be patient.

4) Also, please do not write a whole new post for rules questions not yet answered (like the benediction of anshar buff). Just post a link to the thread. (In the case of Benediction of Anshar, an answer should be posted within the next day...no need to bring it up here).

-general creator of mayhem and discord
-Exceptional quality PCI Minion and indentured servant
-Lord of the Hummingbirds

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Asked & Answered-origins 2015 Edition!
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 6:07 am 

For the spell Shape Change (Psionic III, p 425) one of the options is Extendable Limbs that allows you to "attack targets as if you possessed a melee range of 15', and perform tasks with your hands up to 15' away."

Questions:
1. If you have that running and throw a ranged weapon, is the start of the throw up to 15' from your actual square per the second part of the effect? I would expect so, but would like confirmed.

2. The weapon trick Steel Rain allows you to throw a dagger at every target within 20' of you. Does this become a 35' radius effect (15' start point of throw + 20' for the effect)? As something to consider, the Deadly Accuracy talent extends the range of ranged attacks by 30', so it's already possible to have a 50' radius effect regardless of the wording above.

3. Speaking of Steel Rain the special notes: "If you also possess the Quick Draw Talent, drawing the daggers for this maneuver is considered part of the maneuver and does not increase the speed of the maneuver." If you don't have quick draw, what is the speed added, and is it a flat 1 or 2 or is it per dagger used?

4. The question on speed with that special needs to be clarified for Twin Throw as well which is the Tier II weapon trick.

5. If you have air runes on the daggers and more daggers than hands free, what happens? Example: I've got Twin Throw and 2 daggers with the air rune. In my off-hand I've got a shield. Both daggers come back. Does one get dropped at my feet? Can I catch 2? What if using Steel Rain I've got 3 or more daggers? What happens then? I could see catching two but not being able to attack with that hand until one is dropped or sheathed. I could also see any more than the number of hands free simple drop to the ground.

With a sweep of his hat,

Paul

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 9:01 am 

(never mind)

Haakon Marcus val'Virdan, Divine Holy Judge of Nier
Ruma val'Vasik, Martial Crusader and Master of the Spear
Jorma Osterman, Arcane Coryani Battlemage

Last edited by Nierite on Tue May 12, 2015 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 10:16 am 

Nierite wrote:
Celestial Shield Maiden and High Elementals for Tier 3 spells?

Already covered under point #3 of the original post.

-general creator of mayhem and discord
-Exceptional quality PCI Minion and indentured servant
-Lord of the Hummingbirds

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 3:45 pm 

Question - with Righteousness, what is the difference between the Hero and Weapon benedictions it grants from Benediction of the Gods - the Hero Benediction seems to overlap/override the Weapon Benediction:

- Benediction on a Hero: Bestows upon the Hero the blessing of +1 to all Might Action and Damage Rolls.
- Benediction on a Weapon: The spell bestows upon the weapon the blessing of +1 to all Damage Rolls made with that weapon.

Righteousness grants the benefits of a Hero, a Weapon, and Armor benediction on the caster, so it seems its granting the same damage bonus twice, especially since it's target is the caster. Add in you can swap in your god's benediction, for worshippers of Hurrian 3 of the 4 options of the buff is nearly identically in effect, unlike other casters with other options.

Just curious, admittedly cause the bonus seems the same and personally because my main is devout caster worshipping Hurrian.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 6:28 pm 

Astroliar wrote:
Question - with Righteousness, what is the difference between the Hero and Weapon benedictions it grants from Benediction of the Gods - the Hero Benediction seems to overlap/override the Weapon Benediction:

Not all weapons use Might for damage. If you are using a side sword or longbow, blessing of the hero won't do much for you.

aka Rurik - Nol Dappan War Priest (Divine 2.3)
aka Karthik - Tultipetan Stonemason (Expert 1.4)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 7:15 pm 

This was brought up in the Talents/Path - Contradictions/Issues thread, but nothing has been stated regarding the topic in over a year. Re-posting here in hopes it can/will be looked at.

SamhainIA wrote:
Quote:
Elementalist (Path): The Master Level (T3 minimum) gives "Elemental Lore" but since it's not retroactive, you only get the benefits of it for T4 and T5 Arcane Spell Casting. So either someone is likely to have this already as an Elemental Caster and it's wasted, or they only get the benefits for 2 tiers.

... elementalist.. your right you only really get the benefit once, perhaps it should be retroactive?

Was this Talent intended to work just for one tier only?

Echo
B-lister, Super Human, Brawler
"Bringing the noise!"

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 10:59 pm 

acurrier wrote:
Astroliar wrote:

Not all weapons use Might for damage. If you are using a side sword or longbow, blessing of the hero won't do much for you.

That may be my confusion - I read the Hero Benediction as two separate items, Might Action Rolls as one item modified and just Damage Rolls as the other, not both Might rolls modified. And as you say, if this is correct, blessing of the weapon won't do much for Might damage weapons at all, and even less than the other way around.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 9:56 am 

Quote:
Righteousness:
You gain the benefits of Benediction on a Hero, Benediction on a Weapon, and Benediction on Armor. ...

Quote:
Benediction on a Hero: The spell bestows upon the Hero the blessing of +1 to all Might Action and Damage rolls.

Benediction on a Weapon: The spell bestows upon the weapon the blessing of +1 to all Damage rolls made with that weapon.

This seems pretty clear. The damage does not stack. But the Hero Benediction means if you switch to a secondary weapon, you still receive the +1 damage (it doesn't say it's only for attacks that use Might for damage) also the +1 Might can be used for things like Athletic Skill rolls.

To anyone who says "but what's the point of having Benediction on a Weapon if it doesn't stack?"
The answer lies in the rest of the spells.

Quote:
You may, at your discretion, replace one of the three benedictions above with your Deity's benediction.

Keep Hero and Armor replace Weapon.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 10:10 am 

You are correct that for someone who single-wields a Might-based weapon the Hero and Weapon do not stack. If, however, you DUAL-wield weapons, usually at least one of them is a Light Quickness-based weapon. This means you can Benedict the Hero for the heavier weapon (if you have one) and Benedict the Quickness-based weapon, therefore gaining the +1 to damage with both weapons.

My question about Rigtheousness, though, is can you adapt the Deity-specific bonus for higher values? It does not specify that you CANNOT like Benediction of the Gods does, but it does reference that other spell for details so I find it a bit unclear.

Haakon Marcus val'Virdan, Divine Holy Judge of Nier
Ruma val'Vasik, Martial Crusader and Master of the Spear
Jorma Osterman, Arcane Coryani Battlemage

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey Go to page 1, 2  Next