Last visit was: It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: What is range "X' Radius"?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:52 am 

What is the range "X' Radius"? Is it 0' or is it self or is it something else?

Eryk Bauer - Martial Awakened 1.2

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: What is range "X' Radius"?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:08 am 

wilcoxon wrote:
What is the range "X' Radius"? Is it 0' or is it self or is it something else?

Sorry for the confusion. I remembered one of the spells was Range: 60' radius, but didn't remember if the other was as well, so I inserted the X variable as a placeholder.

With a sweep of his hat,

Paul

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:16 am 

Sorry. I should have been clearer. When I said "X' Radius", I was referring to any spell with a range listed of things like "5' Radius" or "10' Radius". There is no indicator if it is a radius targeted on self or 0' which is important since they have different mechanical implications.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:25 am 

Ah... it depends on the spell. A 0' or Self ranged spell uses the hole in the center template as it's intended to be radiating out from the caster. My interpretation is that as soon as you move it away from you, there's no longer a hole in the center and it's the narrower radius. So, for example, Heat Wave 0'(5' Radius) centered on you would hit the 8 squares around you. Move it 20' and it drops to a box of 4 squares. Part of the advantage of 0' range, Self or Melee is that you don't provoke.

If you were to take a spell like Twister that has a 60' (10' radius) and nuke yourself at ground zero, my understanding is that you'd be subject to free strikes as well as need the Adaptation: Selective Spell to avoid being affected. If you cast subtly I could see an argument for not provoking as they don't know that you're doing it. The devil's advocate position to that is even if they don't know what you're doing, can they tell your attention is elsewhere and hit you anyway?

I'm curious what other people think with that scenario.

With a sweep of his hat,

Paul

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:41 am 

Self (5' Radius) clearly hits the 8 squares around you.

I thought 0' (5' Radius) only hit 3 squares around you (pick a corner and it hits the 4 adjacent squares (1 with you in it but you are immune))? Am I wrong and both 0' and self hit all 8 squares?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:51 am 

The difference between "Self" and "0 feet" is that self cannot have its range increased, while 0 feet can.

Haakon Marcus val'Virdan, Divine Holy Judge of Nier
Ruma val'Vasik, Martial Crusader and Master of the Spear
Jorma Osterman, Arcane Coryani Battlemage

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:52 am 

wilcoxon wrote:
<snip>I thought 0' (5' Radius) only hit 3 squares around you (pick a corner and it hits the 4 adjacent squares (1 with you in it but you are immune))? Am I wrong and both 0' and self hit all 8 squares?

Do you have a reference for the 0' picking a corner, or is that just an interpretation of the range? I haven't heard of that interpretation before, but I can understand it.

With a sweep of his hat,

Paul

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:09 pm 

I think it was a mix of looking at the area templates and also what someone else had told me.

However, rereading the area rules, this passage:
Quote:
Radius Centered on the Caster: Any time a spell Radius is centered on the caster the spell’s effective area extends out from the caster; thus, a 5’ Radius spell centered on the caster will affect all targets 5’ around the caster, and a spell with a 10’ Radius will affect every target 10’ away from the caster.

Seems to be saying that any area spell dropped on the caster (whether self, 0', or 30') will affect the 8 squares around the caster. The only questionable point is "centered on the caster" since normally you select a corner when targeting area spells (but I think I'm over-analyzing it).

Thoughts?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:53 pm 

Spells with Range Self (X' Radius) and 0' (X' Radius) are very similar. They are both centered on the caster and affect the surrounding squares according to the templates, and neither provoke Free Strikes. However, the 0' (X' Radius) can have it's 'starting point of origin' extended with Adaptations (So if you had an Adaptation that said Increase Range by 10', you could apply it to the 0' (X' Radius) but not "Self).

Spells with Range X' Radius are also centered on the caster and affect the surrounding squares according to the template, but these spells DO provoke Free Strikes. They also cannot have their 'starting point of origin' extended by Adaptations (see Self above)

These are my understandings from numerous spell discussions.

John

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:58 pm 

Harliquinn wrote:
Spells with Range X' Radius are also centered on the caster and affect the surrounding squares according to the template, but these spells DO provoke Free Strikes. They also cannot have their 'starting point of origin' extended by Adaptations (see Self above)

Thanks for your input. The quoted part above confuses me. What's the point of a spell with no range that provokes free strikes? Why would anyone ever develop, learn, or cast such a spell?

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey Go to page 1, 2  Next