Last visit was: It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: How much damage can you do an how?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:52 pm 

A continuation of a thread (which had been mostly derailed) on the Campaign forums.

http://forums.paradigmconcepts.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1346&start=30

At ArcaniCon there were several players who were able to throw out an AVERAGE of 30 damage every few ticks (4-6 ticks). How do you do it?

For example:

Haakon Marcus val'Virdan at T2.7 has a +9 to his attacks (8 ranks + Weapon Mastery T.1).
Haakon has a d8 Might and a d10 Charisma.
Haakon swings a d10 Flamberge with Impact (+d4 on Critical) and Mighty Swing (+5 damage as a +1(3)).
Haakon has the val'Virdan Bloodline power the Sword of Heaven which gives him +3 fire damage.
Haakon wields an Exceptional Quality Fervidite Flamberge (+2 damage) with an AVALANCHE Rune on it.
Haakon has both Forward Stance and Smite Infidel T.1 (through Bloodline).
Haakon can cast the Smite Heretic spell.

This means that as his most damaging attack (including Crit) he would do d10(d8) WEAPON+d8(d10)SMITE WITH ADAPTATIONS+d6 AVALANCHE+5 MIGHTY SWING+3 BLOODLINE+2 EX. FERVIDITE+d4 IMPACT, for an average damage of 36 damage with an attack of 2d10(d10)+12, and a final speed cost of 9 with 3 recovery and 5 strain. He can only do this 1/scene, with all subsequent hits being less effective.

Haakon's 'every day' damage averages from 15 (d10(d8)+5) at a his lowest to 28 (d10(d8)+d8+10+d6) at his highest with strain and recovery.

Haakon Marcus val'Virdan, Divine Holy Judge of Nier
Ruma val'Vasik, Martial Crusader and Master of the Spear
Jorma Osterman, Arcane Coryani Battlemage

Last edited by Nierite on Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: How much damage can you do an how?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:06 pm 

Cody,

Can you help me understand the d8 in both of your lines? I take the first line to be with the Smite Infidel talent. The T1 version grants d4(dCh) which in Haakon's case would be d4(d10) not d8(d10). Also in that line, where does the d6 come from? You can't get a damage die bonus from Smite Infident (ta) and stack it with Forward Stance (ta).

In your second line you've got a d8 and d6. I'm guessing the d6 is from Forward stance at Tier II and also comes with a -2 to hit. Is the d8 the Smite Heretic spell with a CTN +4 die bump from d6 to d8?

My request would be as people assemble numbers and dice, to call out specifically is granting each benefit in an equation.

With a sweep of his hat,

Paul

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:24 pm 

According to the Errata, when you combine both the Smite Spell and Talent, all it does is die-bump the d4 from the talent, granting a d6. My understanding of the rules suggests that you should be able to further die-bump this static die using the Smite Heretic Spell's adaptations, granting a d8 (actually, I can almost auto-cast a d10 if this is the case).

I have an extra d6 from the Avalanche Rune (yes, I wrote Impact Rune for some reason. . . ) 1/scene. I did not factor Forward Stance into my 'maximum possible damage' calculation because of Smite Infidel.

As such, things I can add to damage:

d10 - Flamberge base damage, boost to d12 at Tier 3
d8 - Might, will boost to d10 in Tier 3
+2 - Fervidite, as per the errata on the material
+3 Fire - The Sword of Heaven, granting the effects of a Legendary Fire Rune
+5 - Mighty Swing, Tier 1 weapon trick for Flamberge
d4/d6 - Forward Stance, with a -1 or -2 to attack (can do a d8 for a -3 at Tier 3)
d6 - Avalanche Rune, d6 damage as a Trivial action to activate 1/scene
d4 - Impact Quality, only available on Critical Hits
d4(d10) - Smite Infidel, can be boosted to a d6(d10) if I cast Smite Heretic as part of the attack. My read is that it can be further boosted with adaptations.
d6 - Base Smite Heretic damage, CTN+4 to die bump.

I think that is all my possible modifiers to damage, except for things like Charge. . .

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:04 pm 

At ArcaniCon, I came across a certain archer who (using sober reflection and math) I do not think was combining their weapon attacks properly.

From what I recall, they were doing Unbalancing Attacks combined with Twin Arrow, to do an AVERAGE of 30+ damage every shot. On the face of it, this COULD be reasonable as:

Longbow = d10
Quickness = d10 (highly likely)
Twin arrow = +d10 weapon damage
Unbalancing Attack = +Pr (again, let's assume a d10) on the next attack.
Sniper's Eye = +3 damage on 'next' attack.
Exceptional Quality Bow = +1 damage

This means that the shot would do (on paper) 2d10(d10)(d10)+4 damage, for an average of 26 damage. I am fuzzy on the timescales, but I don't recall this being done any slower than every 10 ticks.

Now, my read of the maneuver is such (upon time to think it out):

Twin Arrow + Unbalancing Attack
Category: Advanced
Attack: Avoidance AND Discipline (Pr) (must bypass BOTH defences)
Speed: Longbow (5) +1 (8 recovery) (total of 6(8))
Range: (not relevant here, for this math)
Effect: Weapon + d10 (weapon die)-3 damage, if your attack sucessfully hits the target's avoidance and discipline, you will gain an additional +2 to attack and (Pr) damage on your next attack.

I may be forgetting huge parts of this attack, but even with Sniper's Eye (a ONE TIME +3 to attack and damage) I cannot see how this attack does more than 2d10(d10)-2 damage (avg 14.5 dmg) with the next one dealing d10(d10)(d10) damage (avg 16.5 damage). Would anyone care to enlighten me as to how this worked?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:08 pm 

Here's what I'm looking at as the best damage I can do from a character.

Vincens
Weapons:
Exceptional Short Sword (+1 damage) - Fine Sanctified Cadic (+1 Damage), Fine Celerity (-1 Recover)
Exceptional Fervidite Gladius (+1 damage) - Fine Sanctified Cadic (+1 Damage), Fine Venomous (+1d4 3/day)

Maneuvers:
Spinning Strikes
Unbalancing Attack
Combined: +1(6-1 Celerity Rune = 5)

Talents:
Wolf Pack Tactics
Forward Stance

Ok, with shortsword as the first attack and gladius as the second we have the following assuming there's a flanking buddy:
Tick 1 - Attack with short sword: To-hit: 2d10+d10(Pr)+8 (skill)+1 (Wolf Pack Tactics) +2 (Tactical Edge) -1 (Forward Stance) -2(Two-weapon fighting) =2d10+d10+8
Damage: d6(d10)+1(Exceptional)+1(Rune)+1(Wolf Pack Tactics)+2 (Advanced Tactics) -3 (Unbalancing Attack) +1d4 (Forward Stance) = d6(d10)+2+d4, average damage: 13.5
Tick 2 - Attack with gladius: To-hit: 2d10+d10(Pr) +8(skill) +1(Weapon Mastery)+1 (Wolf Pack Tactics) +2 (Tactical Edge) -1 (Forward Stance) -2(Two-weapon fighting)+2(Unbalancing Attack) = 2d10+d10 +11
Damage: d8(d10)+1 (Exceptional) +1(Fervidite) +1(Rune) +1 (Wolf Pack Tactics) +5(Spinning Strikes)+d10(Prowess die)+d4(Forward Stance) +1d4 Venomous = d8(d10)+d10+d4 +d4 +9 = Avg. 29.5
Go again on tick 8 with recovery 5. Assuming I take a normal attack and wait a tick, normal damage with say the gladius in between is:

d8(d10)+d4(Forward stance)+1(Exceptional)+1(Fervidite)+1(Rune)+1(Wolf Pack Tactics) = 16.5 Average.

Total damage over 13 ticks: 13.5 + 29.5 + 16.5 = 59.5 / 13 = 4.58 / tick

There are also a number of things that have to happen including flank buddy for WPT & TE and the Venomous rune can only be used 3/day. Also, the opponents have to be intelligent non-worshipers of Cadic which can also decrease the damage. And with 3 attacks over that period, it means the AR is applied 3 times.

With a sweep of his hat,

Paul

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:33 pm 

So many of these stacked things are 1/scene (or spells with strain), so after the damage spike it should taper off dramatically.

Nierite wrote:
I may be forgetting huge parts of this attack, but even with Sniper's Eye (a ONE TIME +3 to attack and damage) I cannot see how this attack does more than 2d10(d10)-2 damage (avg 14.5 dmg) with the next one dealing d10(d10)(d10) damage (avg 16.5 damage). Would anyone care to enlighten me as to how this worked?

I'd start by asking how they're getting Sniper's Eye off to start with; since it takes 60 ticks...

Not including reload times (if they're claiming to use Rapid Shot, that's a Combat Manoeuvre as well...)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:30 am 

Early in tier 2, Ss'kethis will be able to do:

Tralian Hammer:
1) hit: 2d10 (base) + d10 (Mi) + 7 (ranks) + 1 (mastery) + 3 (Smite)
dmg: d12 (weapon) + d10 (Mi) + 5 (Mighty Swing) + 1 (Exceptional) + 1 (AP) + d4(d8) (Smite)
9) hit: 2d10 (base) + d8 (Pr) + 7 (ranks) + 1 (mastery)
dmg: d12 (weapon) + d10 (Mi) + 1 (exceptional) + 1 (AP)
15) final dmg avg: 6.5+5.5+5+1+1+2.5+4.5+6.5+5.5+1+1 = 40 / 14 = 2.85 dpt
future (no Smite): 33 / 13 = 2.54 dpt

Tail Bracer:
1) hit: 2d10 (base) + d8 (Pr) + 7 (ranks) + 1 (mastery) + 3 (Smite)
dmg: d6 (weapon) + d10 (Mi) + 1 (exceptional) + d4(d8) (Smite)
5) hit: 2d10 (base) + d8 (Pr) + 7 (ranks) + 1 (mastery)
dmg: d6 (weapon) + d10 (Mi) + 1 (exceptional)
8) final dmg avg: 3.5+5.5+1+2.5+4.5+3.5+5.5+1 = 27 / 7 = 3.85 dpt
future (no Smite): 10 / 3 = 3.33 dpt

Things I could add by early Tier 3 to improve the damage (ignoring further skill/attribute bumps):
  • Add Wolf Pack talent
  • Add Vital Strike maneuver
  • Add Exceptional Celerity Rune (Tralian)
  • Add fine elemental rune (both)
  • Add Might rune
  • Add fine Stone rune
Tralian Hammer:
1) hit: 2d10 (base) + d12+1 (Mi Might/Stone) + 7 (ranks) + 1 (mastery) + 3 (Smite) + 1 (Wolf Pack)
dmg: 2d6 (mastery 3) + 2d6 (Vital Strike) + d12+1 (Mi Might/Stone) + 5 (Mighty Swing) + 1 (Exceptional) + 1 (AP) + 1 (Wolf Pack) + 1 (elemental) + d4(d8) (Smite)
8) hit: 2d10 (base) + d8 (Pr) + 7 (ranks) + 1 (mastery) + 1 (Wolf Pack)
dmg: 2d6 (mastery 3) + d12+1 (Mi Might/Stone) + 1 (exceptional) + 1 (AP) + 1 (Wolf Pack) + 1 (elemental)
14) final dmg avg: 7+7+7.5+5+1+1+1+1+2.5+4.5+7+7.5+1+1+1+1 = 56 / 13 = 4.31 dpt
future (no Smite): 49 / 11 = 4.08 dpt

Tail Bracer:
1) hit: 2d10 (base) + d8 (Pr) + 7 (ranks) + 1 (mastery) + 3 (Smite) + 1 (Wolf Pack)
dmg: d8 (mastery 3) + d12 + 1 (Mi Might/Stone) + 1 (exceptional) + 1 (Wolf Pack) + 1 (elemental) + d4(d8) (Smite)
5) hit: 2d10 (base) + d8 (Pr) + 7 (ranks) + 1 (mastery) + 1 (Wolf Pack)
dmg: d8 (mastery 3) + d12+1 (Mi Might/Stone) + 1 (exceptional) + 1 (Wolf Pack) + 1 (elemental)
8) final dmg avg: 4.5+7.5+1+1+1+2.5+4.5+4.5+7.5+1+1+1 = 37 / 7 = 5.29 dpt
future (no Smite): 15 / 3 = 5 dpt

Note: Vital Strike actually lowers the dpt of the Tail Bracer.
Edit: Just reread Exceptional Celerity Rune - not as good as I thought (only -1 speed when doing maneuver costing the Tralian Hammer about 0.4 dpt).

Eryk Bauer - Martial Awakened 1.2

Last edited by wilcoxon on Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:15 am 

Southernskies wrote:
So many of these stacked things are 1/scene (or spells with strain), so after the damage spike it should taper off dramatically.

Nierite wrote:

I'd start by asking how they're getting Sniper's Eye off to start with; since it takes 60 ticks...

Not including reload times (if they're claiming to use Rapid Shot, that's a Combat Manoeuvre as well...)

I know of whom you speak, and have often wondered the same. I will say this, I know he was planning (or possibly erroneously using the Rune early) to use the Exceptional Celerity Rune. An Exceptional Longbow is a Speed 5 weapon. Utilizing Unbalancing Attack it becomes a Speed 6 (or Speed 5 with that Rune). As cheesey as this gets, If you follow that with a Rapid Shot (a 0/0 maneuver) or even a Point Blank Shot (a maneuver with no time adjustments at all)....with the Rune you reduce the Speed of the attack by 1 when using a maneuver....so the Speed 5 bow with a Rapid Reload just became a Speed 4.

-general creator of mayhem and discord
-Exceptional quality PCI Minion and indentured servant
-Lord of the Hummingbirds

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:06 am 

I judged *that* gnome in question during 2 slots at Arcaniscon. Enjoyed the player and character. Yeah, was somewhat suspicious of the math. Didn't delve into it at the table. I had split APLs at each table and generally used the lower defense stats for creatures but with the higher hit points totals. I confess, having someone in the party who could inflict a ton of damage was helpful to keep us finishing the mods on time.

Doing 30+ points of damage a hit is a big deal. TMK the only legal way to do it is with smiting or getting lucky with your dice. Mighty Powerful Thrust with a fervidite weapon, wolfpack and a rune can often be +12/+13 damage. I think that's the best of the "plain vanilla" combos anyone could put together for static bonuses. Smiting by talent or spell is generally the best way to add dice to the equation (though as we up in tiers some interesting optional also open up through MTs).

As an aside, Tukufu is not built for delivering high damage. But against an Ordainer he pumped out 43 points of damage over a short period of time (8 ticks) with all three flintlocks he carried. That's currently his personal best.

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:44 am 

mighty28 wrote:
As cheesey as this gets, If you follow that with a Rapid Shot (a 0/0 maneuver) or even a Point Blank Shot (a maneuver with no time adjustments at all)....with the Rune you reduce the Speed of the attack by 1 when using a maneuver....so the Speed 5 bow with a Rapid Reload just became a Speed 4.

Point Blank Shot doesn't count as a maneuver for this purpose (Category: N/A, Speed: None). Nothing to modify.

Are they taking the -4 for shooting into melee? Using Precise Aim will slow it down a bit more.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next