Last visit was: It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Disciplus Geometricus
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:37 pm 

Team Paradigm,

I was at Origins this year, and it was good seeing y'all again. While I was there, I picked up a copy of FiM2 just to complete my collection, and not really expecting much as far as useful character options for the shared world campaign. To my surprise though we find 2 new paths that are really cool. I start to get really excited. As an Expert Templar of Sarish my character would absolutely be more interested in Runic magic after fighting the Tulipetans and such. I figure this is an excellent path for a Sarishan I start plotting out how to get 3 ranks in the skill I am missing, and then I notice it. 3 ranks in Arcanum: (Elder, Eldritch, or Primal).

This is not the first time my hopes have been dashed for a valid Path of advancement, but it is kind of the straw that is breaking my back here. Is this an oversight of y'alls part, or are your really saying that Sarishans cannot ever Rune Cast or really master metaphysics?

Matt
aka Kaylith Dracul val'Sungha, Templar of Sarish

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Disciplus Geometricus
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:42 pm 

Two points:

1) Since Arcanum (Elder), Arcanum (Eldritch), and Arcanum (Primal) are NOT actually skills, I think this should read Arcanum (Thaumaturgy, Sorcery, Shamanism). As Arcanum (Sorcery) is the skill learned via Sorcerer-Priest of Sarish, this is almost certainly an oversight on their part.

2) Unless this has since changed, I do not believe that any form of Runic Magic scribed by PC's is allowed in the Living Campaign as it kind of screws up the economy. I know as of LAST Origins this was under major discussion but near as I can tell the Paths in FiM II are not playable. This made me sad as I had built my (at the time) secondary around becoming a Rune-Maker as well and it was for that reason I dropped him (much to Amanda's joy as she hated the character).

Haakon Marcus val'Virdan, Divine Holy Judge of Nier
Ruma val'Vasik, Martial Crusader and Master of the Spear
Jorma Osterman, Arcane Coryani Battlemage

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:01 pm 

As it stands you may not take that path, or at least you may not gain the benefit of crafting runes.

I'm not sure why you would want to take that path if you dont get to craft runes, but essentially no you cant take it.

--Josh

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:10 pm 

The path fits the flavor of my character. I really don't care about benefits. If I did I would not be playing a val'Sungha with no access to rules. Also, since coming to the blessed lands Kaylith has a lot of reason to want to know more about runic magic, especially after Origins. As a point about playability though the path does not grant Inscribe Rune so I don't see why the path would be banned.

Matt

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:14 pm 

umm the path does grant inscribe rune at adept and master level .... ?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:43 pm 

I had thought about playing a Dwarven Runesmith and had him built until I found out it was illegal for living campaign. :(

I tend to dislike when official material is banned from living campaigns. If the material was balanced and fit the world then it should not need to be banned from the living campaign (and if it wasn't balanced or didn't fit the world, why was it written that way?).

Eryk Bauer - Martial Awakened 1.2

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:46 pm 

Runesmithing is probably the most common method of making a Magic Item in the world of Arcanis (it doesn't even need you to be magical yourself!). That said, the reason it ISN'T allowed right now is that the Campaign hasn't managed to get a system of crafting that works which doesn't break the economy of the game. When they do that (which is, admittedly, fairly low on their priority list as far as I am aware), then they'll probably open up this Path as Legal. Till then, it remains illegal to craft runes (and other items), so while you could take the path you wouldn't really get many benefits for now.

Haakon Marcus val'Virdan, Divine Holy Judge of Nier
Ruma val'Vasik, Martial Crusader and Master of the Spear
Jorma Osterman, Arcane Coryani Battlemage

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:54 pm 

@Steve just because its not allowed in the shared campaign, does not mean it isn't balanced it simply means that some things are not appropriate for shared campaigns. crafting items is one of them.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:20 pm 

SamhainIA wrote:
@Steve just because its not allowed in the shared campaign, does not mean it isn't balanced it simply means that some things are not appropriate for shared campaigns. crafting items is one of them.

I disagree. There would definitely need to be some rules/limits to avoid abuse but there's no reason crafting wouldn't work in the shared campaign. Given the number of things in Arcanis related to crafting (long sections on Artisan skill, multiple talents, a few backgrounds, and multiple paths), it seems like something that should be included in the shared campaign.

Eryk Bauer - Martial Awakened 1.2

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:09 pm 

My own unofficial 2 cents: path should be allowed. Can't craft for anyone but yourself. Cost is still the same. Only benefit is you can craft a rune even if the mod wouldn't normally let you. Skills are reasonably nice and the flavor is strong ... I can see wanting to take it.

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next