Last visit was: It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Disciplus Geometricus
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:46 pm 

SamhainIA wrote:
I have said this before and I will say it again: The shared campaign is all about playing the same game as everyone else, the rules that are out there are to provide a level playing field for players and GM's alike. if you don't want to follow those rules, or if you want to do something outside of those rules, you are better off exploring that character concept outside of the shared campaign. and playing something within the rules as part of the shared campaign.

That's fine in theory. In practice, some (many?) players have a hard enough time finding a shared campaign Arcanis game to play (let alone a home game). With the advent of D&D and Pathfinder living campaigns, I find it much easier to find shared campaign games of most systems than home games.

My personal case of Arcanis is a little odd in that there are quite a few players around but one group has played everything and the other is full so I started running Arcanis (technically shared but mostly just because I suck at coming up with good story-lines) and, recently, playing online some.

On the other hand, I now have 2 characters that do not craft and a val'Vasik cert (so that's likely to be my third char if/when I create one) so the crafting debate doesn't affect me personally (I just think they are missing an opportunity and, if it had been available when I created my chars, I likely would have used it).

Eryk Bauer - Martial Awakened 1.2

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:10 pm 

Hey Joe,

Thank you for the response. I would like to point out here that I am not asking to be able to craft runes. The initiate level of this path does not grant that talent. It gives you a talent that allows you to do Rune Casting which is +2 to Passive casting level at a cost of +1 speed. It also gives you a core talent MetaPhysical Understanding which allows you to cast advanced spells more easily. The requirements for this initiate level are a bit nonsensical as has been pointed out. To wit, you have to have 3 ranks in Arcanum (Elder, Eldritch, or Primal). As we have gone over previously in this thread we think this should be errata to 3 ranks in Arcanum (Theurgy, Sorcery, or Shamanism). Thus a Sorcerer Priest of Sarish, an Elorii Mage, a Sanctorum Mage, or a Primal Shaman could all become Disciplus Geometricus. As written there is no such skill, and if there was the most logical person to take the path a Sarishan would be barred. Additionally, I would think that Psions should be allowed as well, but I really do not care about that.

I understand and support the no crafting rule for the shared campaign. I am not asking anyone to approve or disapprove the inscribe rune talent. Would it be cool if we could at least move our found runes around without having to resort to merchants? Sure, but again that is not the point here. I want to take the initiate level of this Path for my Sarishan Templar if it is legal to do so. If it is not then I will just take Myrmidon and go another way with the character.

Thanks,
blackthorn wrote:
I believe Henry put it best when this subject came up:

"The issue I have with the Master Smith option that you mention is that it would effectively take a character out of play. Such an apprenticeship would require a considerable amount of time to complete. If taken as a background, then what would be the real benefit? Crafting of items, etc is not supported by the campaign, so I don't see it being worth the money spent."

IMHO, the campaign staff has gone to great lengths to streamline the Arcanis play experience based on players' feedback...eliminating cost of living, restoring balance to fate points, etc.. This particular Path is great for home campaigns but in the current system in place where we have more checks and balances to deal with from a managerial perspective, it is not as feasible as some players would like.

aka Kaylith Dracul val'Sungha, Templar of Sarish

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:24 am 

Hello Matthew,

The rules for the Rune Master (Disciplus Geometricus) path listed in FiM2 is not legal at this time. It is on the list of Things for the Campaign Staff to review for admittance (or not), but at this moment no one can take this Path.

I will speak with Peter to see what, if any, errata, is needed for Home Games.

Thank you.

Henry Lopez
President
PCI

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:15 am 

Henry,

Thank you for your response. Have a wonderful summer sir. Hope to see you again at Gencon.

Sincerely,
Matthew Jenkins

PCIHenry wrote:
Hello Matthew,

The rules for the Rune Master (Disciplus Geometricus) path listed in FiM2 is not legal at this time. It is on the list of Things for the Campaign Staff to review for admittance (or not), but at this moment no one can take this Path.

I will speak with Peter to see what, if any, errata, is needed for Home Games.

Thank you.

aka Kaylith Dracul val'Sungha, Templar of Sarish

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3