Last visit was: It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Spell affinity for a spell as a component to another spell
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:51 pm 

If spell One has a component listed as spell Two. Do feats affecting spell Two also affect spell One?

Example I ran into:
Rejuvenation (pg 416) has Diminish Fatigue as a component for the spell. If a caster has Spell Affinity towards Diminish Fatigue, does Spell Affinity Diminish Fatigue apply towards Rejuvenation? The adaptations are the same for both spells.

Thanks!

~Gno'meer/Weiblich

~Gno'meer
Nol Dappen Priestly Sword Saint of War

~ Moses (Real name, for trues)

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Spell affinity for a spell as a component to another spe
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:01 pm 

No because the talent lists Diminish Fatigue and not Rejuvenation. As they are different spells you would need a talent for each one.

I could see a rationale for going the other way, but I cannot think of anything in the rules which scales for free with tier.

Haakon Marcus val'Virdan, Divine Holy Judge of Nier
Ruma val'Vasik, Martial Crusader and Master of the Spear
Jorma Osterman, Arcane Coryani Battlemage

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:54 am 

Agreed.

For whatever reason Spell Affinity means you have a special knack for *that* one specific "recipe" of spells. Maybe you've doubled down on the time you spend practicing it, maybe you don't even know why it comes easy. Either way it doesn't grant any mechanical benefits to a different recipe, even if the other recipe has a relationship (ie a component of) to the spell you rockl. Though you could certainly justify your choice of Rejuvenation because it grows out of Diminish Fatigue...which you find easier than most ("Yeah I mastered that cant is less than a week, it just seemed to flow out of what i already learned...")

Or another way, the special bit of knowledge/aptitude that you rock so hard is sufficiently different in application with the other spells that you don't get a mechanical bonus despite presumed similarities.

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:48 am 

Spell Affinity itself has the answer. It has to be a base spell that you take it for unless you have it for all of the component spells in an advanced spell.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:00 pm 

archangel, I read that as for generic advanced spells, ie ones that are created from two other base spells.

rejuvenation is not an advanced spell (its a sustained spell) with a componet spell, in this case I don't think Spells listed in the book with componet spells and the componet spells for advanced spells are the same thing.

I would allow the talent spell affinity (Rejuvination) to be taken with out any prerequisites

Spell affinity's pertinent verbiage
Quote:
You may not use this Talent with Advanced spells unless you possess Spell Affinity in both spells.

now that does leave some room for debate regarding printed advanced spells, "Alter memory" for example, that has a component of "enemy of my enemy", or even Banisment, which is an advanced spell that has no component spells.

the simplest ruling is that you cant use spell affinity for any Advanced spell unless it has two component spells and you have spell affinity for both of them.

I Think the spirit of the rules is such that if you have spell affinity in ALL of the component spells for any spell that has component spells, they apply to the more complex spell ( ie rejuvenation and Alter memory) and if any spell has no component spells then you can take the spell affinity talent for that spell. ( ie banisment or Elemental bolt).

but thats not what the rules say explictly so your mileage may vary

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:58 pm 

Thanks! I could have gone either way. This lets me scheme the course of my character =D

~Gno'meer
Nol Dappen Priestly Sword Saint of War

~ Moses (Real name, for trues)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:05 pm 

right so a RAW ruling would be base spells only and advanced if you had the talent for both base spells. No advanced spells that didn't have components spells and no sustained spells either.

I think you are correct on the spirit of the rule though. If you have the talent with the components you can get/use it with the final spell.

The line about using the talent with an advanced spell leaves me a bit unclear if you need to "create" the spell and then take the talent with it again or if it is available if you possess the talent for all the component spells. Not a big deal either way but I could see it interpreted either way.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey