Last visit was: It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Rules questions arising from Tyrfang
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:57 am 

jwboyce1957 wrote:
Tyrfang will not allow a vanquished person, friend or foe, to be killed. How does this imperative stack up against the 12 tick limit? In other words, if someone is about to be killed during the 12 tick limit, will the sword intervene physically or continue to limit you to verbal persuasion?

I had this happen during my first adventure where a pack of creatures attacked a group of people; the first attack on a bystander put the person down and a second would be a coup-de-grace. The only thing I could think of doing was to challenge the creature getting ready to coup-de-grace.

On rare occasions like this, Tyrfang will allow itself to be drawn early in defense of the fallen victim only. Everything it does is from its desire to protect, and it hopes to imbue you with the same qualities over time.

jwboyce1957 wrote:
The second question was my attempt to deal with this problem for the group. Does using the thunder rune on Tyrfang constitute an attack? It does no damage, but does push their clock. I used it at the beginning of my move to get their attention and then issued my call to surrender. Is this allowed, or does use of the thunder ruin also have to wait for the 12 tick expiration?

Using the Thunder rune both constitutes an attack (has a potentially adverse effect on your foe), and couldn't be used within the 12 ticks anyway. To activate the Thunder rune requires striking the sword against something (a foe, the ground, your own armor), which in turn requires the weapon to be drawn in order to do the striking.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:01 pm 

Okay, that I think gives me a good feel what to do and how to do it. Although I initially was not happy at this, it certainly will be a defining event in my character's life with some interesting possibilities. I am looking forward to playing with Tryfang now and seeing where it goes. I will stop bothering asking you questions now.

Thank you again.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:28 pm 

And when do get to draw it, it kicks serious butt!

John

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:45 pm 

in retrospect... it might be awesome for tyrfang to have a fate point override built in

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:05 pm 

By the way, Tyrfang has Code of Honor as a flaw, as do I. My goals in life are much the same, and once we figure out the boundaries, do not expect any serious issues. I am trying to play my character as an old fashioned D & D palladin; Tyrfang is not incompatible although it and I have slightly different views on when force should be used.

This should be fun, although perhaps frustrating at times as well.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:01 pm 

I'm really glad that you're taking the opportunity to make it a character 'coolness' rather than retirining, particularly since you got the item at my table.

john

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:06 pm 

SamhainIA wrote:
in retrospect... it might be awesome for tyrfang to have a fate point override built in

It doesn't really need one... using a Fate point to 'break the rules' should allow you to draw it early, etc.

Writing special rules into an item for Fate points is IMO making the relic entirely too complex.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:32 pm 

james.zwiers wrote:
SamhainIA wrote:

It doesn't really need one... using a Fate point to 'break the rules' should allow you to draw it early, etc.

Writing special rules into an item for Fate points is IMO making the relic entirely too complex.

Assuming that use of Fate returns :)

John

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:42 am 

Even if that use of Fate returns, I'm not so sure I'd allow it. From my perspective, that use of fate was to allow a character to do something special; something awesome. Not to be used as a way to avoid the penalty associated with a curse. (Not to mention, what is, in my opinion a very interesting and flavorful curse.) Can't you just see the character, standing amidst the chaos that erupted only a moment ago, yelling at the top of his lungs:

to the masses: "Awe, come on! Can't we talk this out?!?"
*dodges an arrow*
to Tyrfang: "Really? Look at them! They're not going to listen. Let me help!"
Tryfang, in calm, soothing 'voice': "No, I don't think so. Perhaps you should learn how to be more persuasive."
to Tyrfang: "Persuasive?!?" *Ducks out of the way of a flying chair* "My sword is persuasive. My dagger is persuasive. *You* are persuasive. Now let me fight!"
Tyrfang: "I think your anger might be clouding your judgment. Try taking some deep breaths."
"ARGH!"

Think of the fun you could have with it.

:)
Scott

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:56 am 

and James and Scott have outlined perfectly why one reason that use of fate went away, lol

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next