Last visit was: It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: frightened qustion
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:07 pm 

Quote:
Frightened creatures must move away at the highest safe speed from the cause of their fear. The creature will avoid Free Strikes, and will fight on if cornered or trapped (cannot move away without suffering Free Strikes). Upon becoming Frightened, the creature will also suffer the effects of being Shaken. Frightened creatures suffer a -2 penalty to their Discipline (which stacks with the Shaken penalty), and suffer a -2 penalty to Combat Action Rolls or other Action Rolls that require steady hands and calm focus.

Quote:
Creatures which fail their Action Skill Roll may, after 12 Ticks, attempt another Mettle: Stand Firm Action Skill Roll unless otherwise noted.

not sure if i am understanding this right some clarification please.

so assume my pc gets frightened, has a pace of 40 and quick talent. 1) as i understand being frightened i must run (120ft/3ticks) for 12 ticks totaling 480ft at which point i get to attempt the mettle roll again. now 2) the only time im allowed to attack while frightened is if and only if get cornered or trapped in my attempt to run...correct? 3) where would the -2 penalty to combat actions rolls come into play if you can't attack while running away. would it only apply if i was trapped and or cornered?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: frightened qustion
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:08 pm 

Yeah, that looks correct. Having a couple PCs bomb a Mettle check can really make a difficult combat impossible. This is why my Nol Dappan is geared towards Mettle checks (Inspirational Presence, Born Leader, soon to have Steadying Word and Stalwart Presence). It isn't good in every fight, but when it is useful it is VERY useful.

These are definitely situations where a good Fate reroll can make a big difference.

aka Rurik - Nol Dappan War Priest (Divine 2.3)
aka Karthik - Tultipetan Stonemason (Expert 1.4)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:05 pm 

Which is why I always spend the Fate to make the fear check and give everyone else a bonus :)

John

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:13 pm 

john with the doing away of the "do the impossible" is the use of a fate to auto succeed in that manner legal. seeing as it is not an approved use of fate on pg 319

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:16 pm 

yeah that fate use in in the COH pg 186
Quote:
• A Hero may – before the roll is made – succeed on a Horror Check.
• A Hero may – after failing a Horror Check – ignore any result that would cause the Hero to flee
(other penalties apply).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:24 pm 

ohhhh well interesting

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:31 pm 

Failing that, even the most stingy GM should allow you to add your Fate Score to a failed Mettle to make it a LITTLE bit better ;)

Haakon Marcus val'Virdan, Divine Holy Judge of Nier
Ruma val'Vasik, Martial Crusader and Master of the Spear
Jorma Osterman, Arcane Coryani Battlemage

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:26 pm 

what happens to a pc who is frightened yet does not know what it is that is causing the fear, they are not trapped and not cornered, so by the rules making attacks is out of the question, they don't know which way to run, so do they just pick a direction and go, or do they shut down (similar to a panic attack, able to defend themselves if threatened, but nothing more)?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:34 pm 

My view: I say if there is a way to run, they will run as far away from the threat as they can. If the threat is on one side of them (in front) they will book it in the complete opposite direction. If they are completely trapped, they will flee to get as far as physically possible, then go helpless except for moving away if the threat gets closer (ie: move to another corner if they can).

Haakon Marcus val'Virdan, Divine Holy Judge of Nier
Ruma val'Vasik, Martial Crusader and Master of the Spear
Jorma Osterman, Arcane Coryani Battlemage

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:54 pm 

running is all good and grand if you know from what your running from....what if a pc is hit by a subtle casting of walking nightmare. frightened says you run from that which scares you, while 2 things happen with the above example 1) the caster successfully cast the spell subtlety thus the pc don'ts know he did it cant run from caster, he's not frightening and 2) the fluff of the spell says
Quote:
You read into your Target’s mind, exposing his mind to his greatest nightmares.
so here in this case its something in your own mind, not a physical object or person, that has frightened you. what is the pc/npc to do then? you cant really run from your own mind, hence my question would the person effectively just shut down(retreating into themselves) and only be able to defend oneself if attacked

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey Go to page 1, 2  Next